Friday, November 6, 2009

Everything at my fingertips....

I succumbed to social pressures and got an I-Phone. Succumbing really meaning I have always really wanted one and I am totally excited! LOL The days of carrying two phones, personal and work, are now over with and I couldn’t be more happy. Not only did I consolidate but I am doing it with style, rockin out with my new Iphone 3GS (with a hot pink cover)! While I have had it less than 24 hours at this point, I have really enjoyed having my itunes, email, the internet, instant message style texting, tons of applications (two of my fave being Pandora and Facebook), camera, video and everything else in between right at my finger tips at all times. Basically it is one awesome hand held computer with the added bonus of it including a phone.

Until this point I have always sported the “free with upgrade” phone. I just needed the basics- a phone that got good service, could text, and take pictures. That is all I asked… but when given the opportunity this last round to get the I -Phone I couldn’t pass it up. It has been a gradual change, but in the last two years I have become one of those people; you know one of those people that sends email or texts over making calls. I do facebook chat instead of asking someone to hang out. I read the news over the internet, I map out my driving directions, print off coupons, shop, pay bills, book travel- basically my life functions around technology.

Isn’t it crazy to think before my generation how different the world was and the way people functioned…. Having no cell phones or internet changes things completely. People had to use actual maps to get where they were going. They used a 35 MM camera and film. They had to use a pay phone if they were away from home. If they needed to know something they used an encyclopedia. If they wanted to read a book or write a research paper they went to the local library instead of using Google or Wikipedia. Card games, board games were replaced by video games and online game sites…. People couldn’t screen there calls because there were no caller ids.

Back in the day people had a sense of self and knowledge my generation has lost. The knowledge to take care of themselves, and to work harder for the things they have and wanted to learn. If you got a flat, you couldn’t just call up road side service with your cell to get it changed. If you left the house and someone didn’t know where you were you couldn’t be tracked down by cell, email or pager… You were all on your own. Now our generation has become a group of needy people. We are spoiled with easy accessibility to information, services, and people.

Technology has taken from our generation the pleasure of simplicity, and learned knowledge. With everything and everyone just one click away dating, politics, shopping marketing, recreation, research, hobbies, traveling, photography, communicating have all changed. Kind weird to think if all that can happen in a 25 or so years, what else will change in the next 25?

No comments:

Post a Comment