Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Donate a life!

This past weekend a few friends and I headed to Jackson TN for one of our good friends weddings. The wedding went off without a hitch and was beautiful! Before heading home we attended one of my best friends hometown church Sunday morning. This past Sunday the United Methodist Church recognized and celebrated Disability Awareness and Organ Donation Sunday. It was a very important day for my friend and her family because not only is her brother autistic but he also had a kidney transplant last year. Having a first cousin that is disabled as well, I watched her brother Stephen two pews ahead of me with the same life and energy that my cousin has. So innocent, so childlike and Stephen was able to sit there happy as a clam all because of the blessing of receiving a kidney transplant. I couldn’t help but smile. Then the guest speaker came on and started discussing the topic of the day, one in which included the reasons behind Stephen’s transplant.

Apparently Stephen lost his kidney due to a staff infection. I guess I had never really asked why he needed to have his kidney replaced. When I heard staff infection the realization came over me that Stephen in this case was like anyone else. Anyone could get a staff infection. I actually dated someone that contracted mursa staff infection from the gym. Luckily his immune system was strong enough to fight it off relatively well, but he will always be a carrier of that type of staff. What happens if later in the life that infection leaves him seriously ill… The fact of the matter is something could easily happen to each and every one of us, leaving us in the position of needing a transplant.

I’ll be honest. For some reason I never supported personally being an organ donor. One time back in the day someone mislead me with the information that if you are labeled as an organ donor, doctors would be more concerned with saving your organs rather than your life. So in my head that was the deciding factor to not be a donor. So when the message on Sunday was about organ donation it was quite the eye opener for me. I just was mis-informed and never took the time to educate myself truly on the subject. Did you know around 18-19 people die every day due to lack of available organs and around 84 thousand people are on the list waiting for organ donation? It only takes 1 person to donate their tissues and organs to help out 50 people! Also, there is no proof or reason to believe that just because you are an organ donor, doctors will not do everything in their power to save your life. On the contrary, first and foremost doctors take an oath to save your life. When and if that isn’t possible, that is when the process of organ donation begins.

Besides the few reasons listed above, there are quite the numerous amount of pro’s on the list of why to become a donor, compared to the relatively small number of reasons not to be. Some people choose against it for ethical reasons or just the sheer fact they don’t want to share their organs or be cut up once you are deceased.

The reality of the situation is that if something happened to me and my only chance of extending my life (or whatever feasible reason) was receiving an organ transplant, I would say “sign me up!”. Then that brings me to the thought in my head, why would I be willing to take someone else’s organs if I don’t offer my organs in return if they unfortunately become available. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, right?.....

So today I am going to sign up to be an organ donor. When I die, (hopefully a very long time from now) I will leave this world on the good note of knowing I may save someone’s life, help revive several people’s health, and be a God send for someone in need here on earth.

If you are interested in becoming a donor as well, there are 4 ways to express your desire to become a donor.
1) Sign up for your states donor registration. For all you Tennessean’s the website is www.tndonorregistry.org
2) Declare your intention when renewing your driver’s license or sign the back
3) Print a donor card from the Organ Donor website
4) Inform your friends and family of your decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment