Monday, November 16, 2009

Christmas Village

A big part of the woman I have become can be contributed to being in a sorority (actually a woman’s fraternity but who is getting technical?). Coming from a small private liberal arts school where Greek life was very popular, it became a major part of my college experience. Okay yes, sororities do mean parties and mixers but it was sooo much more to me than that. Pi Beta Phi fostered in me morals, lifelong bonds of friendship, philanthropy, scholarship, leadership… And I think it still does today.

As soon as I moved to Nashville one of the first items on my to-do list was joining the local Alumnae club. I got lucky because Nashville has one of the largest Pi Beta Phi alumnae clubs which offers a great network of women (young and old) and also provides us with several philanthropic opportunities.

This weekend was our alumnae club’s big philanthropy event- Christmas Village!!! With over 250 vendors, 6 buildings, and over 25000 people that attend, Christmas Village has raised over a total of 6.6 million dollars over the past 48 years. Last year we raised almost $500,000 of monies donated to the Vanderbilt Bill Wilkerson Center and Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts.

If you haven’t heard of Christmas Village before it is quite the shopping extravaganza. It offers products of every genre and it is really a shopaholic’s dream come true. (Thank God Friday was payday! Haha) This was my second year volunteering and there is nothing like the feeling of doing something good for others. While my main volunteer efforts goes to the sorority itself (I count the nickels and dimes, aka the treasurer) this weekend I donated time not only to volunteer but yes to shopping (who woulda guessed!? Haha) This year we proudly celebrated our 49th year of this philanthropy and 2009 marked the 21st anniversary of the founding of the Pi Beta Phi Rehabilitation Institute at the Bill Wilkerson Center. While we don’t know the total money raised for 2009 CV at this point, I just feel happy knowing that I am part of something that makes such a positive footprint and raises so much money for such a good cause.

Christmas Village is held at the Nashville Fair Grounds and there are some big concerns for our upcoming years of Christmas Village. With the fair grounds closing down next summer there is a big question mark as to the future of the project. Next year will be CV’s big 5-0 anniversary and I have high hopes the fair grounds will let us use the venue next year and also for record high revenues!

For more information about Christmas Village check out the website: http://www.christmasvillage.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment