Monday, October 5, 2009

The south and FOOTBALL!

Football- I never really got into it much. Maybe it was because I was from KY and we always rooted for basketball or maybe it was the fact I didn't grow up close to any big football schools added to the fact my dad has never really been into sports. So that left me very disadvantaged when I moved down to Birmingham, where FOOTBALL is life. I went to school at Birmingham-Southern College and at that time we didn't have a football team (which made sense because every Saturday in the fall campus was deserted for either the Bama or Auburn game). That is when I realized I had missed a very fun and crazy part of life while living in the SEC.

Now don't get me wrong, I like football. I have a good basic understanding of the rules and it keeps my attention fairly well. But the part I lack is passion. I look at these Auburn fans, Gators fans, Tennessee fans or maybe not even college football (how bout them steelers! haha) and I see sheer dedication. They are sad when they loose and over excited when they win. They have pride enough to buy clothing and extra paraphernalia and drop tons of cash of tickets, hotels, concessions, ect.

I have been to a handful of games in the SEC. (Mostly Bama games ---can i get a ROLLL TIDE!?) But in the last 3 weeks I have been more immersed in football than ever before, especially this weekend. This weekend I went to the Tennessee/Auburn game in Knoxville and truly experienced for the first time- tailgating, getting a hotel room to go to a game, caring enough to plan the perfect outfit to wear in game day colors and completely being surrounded by die hard fans. At that point I was a slight bit jealous that the passion that ran through their veins was missing in mine. How do you gain enthusiasm like that... Go to school there? Family roots for a certain team? Boyfriends are die hard fans? I honestly don't know (since alot of those die hard fans seems a slight bit crazy to me lol) but even if I never have my own "team" to cheer for I at least felt like for one weekend, I was a football fan. I rooted, cheered, had a pom-pom and everything and had a blast in the process!



No comments:

Post a Comment