Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Book Worm

Book Club! Yep, Reading Between the Wines was last night. As always, quite the fun time hanging with the girls; talked a bit about the book, carved some pumpkins, busted out some vino, even dressed the cat and dog in Halloween costumes and enjoyed some yummy snacks. I actually read two books this month, so I will give you a basic synopsis of both of them.

First book I read (not actually the book club book – my beach trip book) was The Lost Symbol…. Dan Brown’s new release. Dan Brown caught my attention first round with Di Vinci Code. Then he totally wowed me with Angels and Demons. I loved both of them. The way Dan wrote fiction with a flare of non-fiction details intertwined with suspense and adventure made me devour those books. So when I bought The Lost Symbol my expectations were high… maybe too high. First of all, as an author you should always aim for creativity and uniqueness while still holding onto your general style as an author…. To me, this book was a poor watered down version of a mix between the Di Vinci Code and Angels and Demons but set in Washington DC. It was extremely wordy and by the late-middle of the book I began to get bored. I honestly felt like Brown lost himself trying to sound scholarly and educated about the science related topic. (This book was based on noetic science.) While I did finish the book- this book was only a few notchs more entertaining than a textbook.
Our book club book this month was Have A Little Faith by Mitch Albom. Okay I really enjoyed this book. Such an easy read. If you sat down you could read it in one evening. (Okay I didn’t finish it until last night after our book club meeting, but who is keeping up. Lol) This tale was a non-fiction story about Mitch’s relationship with his Rabbi who randomly asks him to give his eulogy. This building relationship is countered with another developing bond between Mitch and a Christian preacher with quite the sketchy past. This book address’ some pretty deep topics such as God, happiness, faith, death, forgiveness, marriage….and is summed up with the eulogy Albom gave at his Rabbi’s funeral. This book was basically 250 pages of good ol’ fashioned wisdom that everyone needs a dose of every now and then. Not to be a spoiler but the last sentence of the book just says it all for me, “I am in love with hope.” It was a simple book about “faith, hope, serving others and the yearning to be involved in something greater than ourselves...” (Senator Bob Dole). This book makes me want to be a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment