Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Realizations

There are some realizations in life I try to remember throughout my day to day life and when building relationships with people.

Realization 1: Don’t guilt trip.
If someone wanted to do something they would- As simple as that. It’s called free will. Yes we have tools to help change people’s actions such as reverse psychology, make someone feel bad about their choices (aka a guilt trip), and persuasion but deep down all you are doing is breaking someone down. I want the people around me to do things because they want too, because they care. If not, I will always know that that person didn’t do something solely for themselves- I selfishly had to convince someone to do something for me.

Realization 2: Kind words
Say thank you, give compliments, smile, be grateful…. Kind words can be short but their echos can be truly endless… Never forget that. Happiness is contagious! Joy and being appreciative can be medicine for the soul.

Realization 3: Apologies
Only say sorry if you truly mean it. For serious matters, the word sorry should almost be as sacred as the phrase I love you. When you say it you better mean it. If not your words and intentions are misleading and they can be very hurtful to you and all the relationships around you.

Realization 4: You can’t make someone love you
Someone can do all the right things, say the right things, buy the right things, be exactly the person you want them to be but that doesn’t ensure you will fall in love with them. As George Straight puts it “You can’t make a heart love somebody, you can tell it what to do but it won’t listen at all. You can’t make a heart love someone. You can lead a heart to love but you can’t make it fall.” I have learned all you can do is offer your love and the rest is up to the other person.

Realization 5: The golden rule
Treat people the way you want to be treated. I actually stole this from the best book of wisdom ever….the bible. But for such a simple rule of life I try to live by, I and I am sure lots people fail every day trying. If you try to apply this rule to every interaction in your life dealing with other people-family, friends, co-workers, strangers, neighbors, whomever, you’re not just doing good things for those people but often times those people will treat you better in return. I think this rule of thumb helps make the world a better place one small gesture at a time. And even if people don’t give you the pleasure of treating you that way in return, you at least will have satisfaction in yourself, knowledge that you are a good person.

I understand I am just 24 and I still have a lot to learn about life. My thoughts and ideas are constantly changing and most of the time my opinions turn out to be nothing more than elementary level common sense. You would think that theories and ideas that are so easy to comprehend would be easier to execute. Anyways, thanks for reading! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment