Saturday, January 9, 2010

Barf Bag

If you didn't know, I am in Seattle! With a 1 hour 15 minute flight from Nashville to Chicago and a 4 hour flight from Chicago to Seattle, my mom, dad, and I finally touched down on the west coast at 2 am Central time this morning.On our flight I had a great idea when I was rummaging through the seat pockets looking for some lite reading when I happened to come across the barf bag.

Now barf bags are not new to the flying industry. No negative connotations are associated with them being in every seat back, no one ever seems grossed out by the idea... so why are they only seen in planes? Let's be honest, how many of you have ever vomited in a plane? I have ridden on at least 20+ flights and not once have I seen anyone feel sick, much less get sick but it never fails, every seat still receives their own barf bag. Now don't get me wrong...even though I have never actually seen one in use, I still think they are a great idea or at least a good idea in theory.

What I don't understand is why don't other business in the transportation industry optimize on these bags? A prime example of another market that needs to jump on this product are taxi's. Question for ya folks, have you ever vomited in a taxi or know someone who has? Most likely if you or any of your friends drink and use taxi's as your main form of commuting to and from bars and home, chances are you have experienced a taxi puker. Now in some instances the puker may be beyond the use of a bag, but many times just the motion of a car can easily send a person into sickness. With a barf bag available to every seat in the taxi, it could prevent a mess to clean up, that $100 taxi clean up/damage fee, embarrassment and just make the process a bit easier on all parties involved. While I currently have no instances in which they have come in handy in a plane, I can think of at least 5 or 6 times they would have been beyond helpful in a taxi. Just sayin. LOL

Maybe next time I ride in a taxi I will pass along my suggestion or possibly on my flight home pick up a few bags as a souvenir for the next time I go out with friends and know a taxi will be involved..... Never hurts to be too prepared right? Anyways, sorry i typed about a grotty topic and said the word barf so many times. Yuck! ha but I am sure more interesting post's about Seattle are yet to come!

2 comments:

  1. Good idea!

    p.s. I did almost use one in a plane once. I had an ear infection and we were going through a storm with all kinds of turbulance....of course that may have been better than the alternative. The time before I flew with an ear infection, I passed out (not sleep, i fainted) on the plane! But--still I have never had to use the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See the easy solution for when you go out with friends and you know that one of them is a puker is to always carry a small trashbag in your purse - the little like 5 gallon ones for desk trash cans. I had someone (Amber) puke in my car and ever sense then I carry trash bags in my car as well as have one in each of my tampon pockets in my purses. I have yet to have to use one (you puke in my car, you will feel the wrath lol), but I am now always prepared.

    ReplyDelete