Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Lawn Mower Saga'S!

There are two things in life I always tend to break or at least murphy's law always comes into play with.

1) Jet Skii's
2) Lawn Mowers

Now I haven't had any issues with jet skii's in a couple of years (knock on wood), but I have exploded, sank, broke three maybe 4 at this point.

Lawn mowers are a new adventure for me.
Saga one...
When you buy a house instead of a condo or a townhome one of the major questions you ask yourself is how will the lawn get mowed? Now I am a country girl. I have zero issues mowing the lawn, so I decided to save myself 30 bucks a week and mow it myself. First delima is I have never pushed mowed and also I know nothing about what kind of machine to buy. I start doing my research... I can never start my parents stuff that has a pull start and my lot is only .3 acres. So my first purchase was a Black and Decker electric lawn mower. Top of the line. Almost 400 bucks. I thought I have found the perfect solution to no pull start and no gasoline. Boy was I wrong. That thing was not self propelled and was like pushing around a 100 pound baby! Second problem was firt day I mowed I only got 1/3 of the way done with the yard and the battery power ran out. This persisted for 3 days until I finished and my body was so sore (from pushing my fat baby around for three days) I could barely move. I thought surely it just kept dying because my yard was a jungle-Next mow will be better. Nope. Same thing. I took the beast back in my friends mini van....

Saga two: I wait for my mother to come visit so I have an SUV to transport the thing. I decided to screw electric mowers and go for gas. I got all the consumer ratings on gas mowers, we headed to Lowe's and we picked out a really nice self propelled mower. Lowe's even assembled it for us to help with any potential issues. All we needed to do was gas and oil it up and we were supposed to be golden. WRONG. After my mother and I fooled around with that mower for an hour and nothing happened, we decided soemthing was wrong. We loaded it back in the car and headed to Lowe's..... They assembled it incorrectly. It was a safety feature preventing it from working.

Saga three: My new mower had been working great... for my roommate. (Great thing about a male roomie is they offer to mow the lawn.) I come home from a long day at work and notice the lawn is half mowed. I think to myself, "well that's odd". I walk in and my roommate looks upset. He automatically busts out, "the lawn mowers both stopped working today"... Well roomie hit a stump with my lawn mower and then never turned on again. Then took his lawn mower out to finish mowing and he hit the same stump, breaking his lawn mower too. I was a bit upset. I had bought a really nice push mower that was not cheap to replace. We took some pieces apart, talked to my dad about what it could be- Final answer was I took it back to Lowe's (yes it fit in the back seat of my Honda Accord)to see what my options were. Apparently since it had only been 3 weeks they just took it back. They can get full refund as "damaged goods" from the manufacturer, while if i used the manufacturer's warrenty it probably wouldn't have done anything. Anyways, all turned out well and I actually ended up spending a few more dollars to get an even better lawn mower.

Anyways, I never thought in my life I would spend so much time and engery thinking and dealing with lawn mowers but I am one step closer to being one well rounded handy woman!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment