Thursday, December 17, 2009

Holiday Rankings

Thanksgiving down, T-minus 8 days until Christmas! And only 14 days until the new year- 2010!!!! 3 big holidays wrapped up into 35 days. Now that is what I call 35 days of craziness! With all this talk of holidays it inspires me to rate all the holidays throughout the year.


#1 (aka my favorite): Thanksgiving. It’s hard to beat a long weekend and GREAT food. But it ranks numero uno because to me this holiday is one of the most untainted. No gifts, no issues about religion- its all about family, friends, food about being grateful for the many blessings in your life. There is something for everyone on Thanksgiving: Parade, football, black Friday, and eating and drinking. I give it a two thumbs up!

#2 Christmas: Now technically this should be my number one for all us religious folk but it gets knocked down to #2 just because this holiday true meaning unfortunately gets a little diluted with presents, greediness and the erosion of the tradition and the real reason for the Christmas season. (When did using the word Christmas become politically incorrect? It’s just sad.)Anyways, Christmas still ranks number 2 because to me Christmas means Joy, love, and worship. Plus, Christmas music, lights, trees, family, and holiday parties!

#3 Fourth of July: Summer, Grilling out, fireworks and AMERICA. Need I say more!?

#4Halloween: Candy and costumes always = good times!

#5 Memorial Day: The gateway to the summer months. Summer is my favorite! Grilling out, the lake, boating, the beginning of tanorexcia season, flip flops, and cute dresses!

#6 April Fools Day: because secretly I am evil and love playing pranks on people.

#7 New Years Eve: I am kind of mixed on this holiday. The pressure to find the perfect NYE party, dress, and date can all be a bit overwhelming to me. I wont complain about getting a day off and I also like the idea that people use this as a new beginning making resolutions, and goals (even though I don’t think you need a specific date state a new goal in life)

#8 St. Patricks Day: Comradory, beer, and the Irish! Loves it!

#9 Labor Day: Celebrated the first Monday of every September ensures every year a long weekend to commemorate all the hard work us working class endures. Who wouldn’t love that? But I do find this holiday to be kind of bittersweet. It marks the end of summer and the beginning of the end of the year. But who doesn’t love one last weekend to squeeze in the last little bit of summer fun before fall rolls in (my second favorite season).

#10 Easter: a holiday I love for the tradition and its meaning. The death of Jesus makes it possible for us to be forgiven and gives us sinners the opportunity to go to heaven. That alone makes this holiday awesome included with the fact it is another reason to visit family.

#11 My birthday: My birth… honestly do I need an explanation. Haha but no this un-unofficial holidays gives me a reason to bring friends together and their love and companionship brings me great happiness.

#12 Valentines Day: Listed dead last like the true single girl that I am. While I have know and understand the true meaning of Valentines day, this holiday has become too commercialized and in my opinion has become a way for retail to build up Q1 revenues by charging way too much for flowers, gifts, clothes (cough cough lingerie), and food! Redic. We should spend more than 1 day a year recognizing the ones we love without having an official holiday for it. Just saying.

After looking over this list I am wondering, “did I leave any holidays off (minus some of the minor ones, Columbus, Presidents, MLK day…)” I didn’t realize how many there were! Anyways, those are my two cents. Happy HOLIDAYS! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment