Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Goodies!!!

Holidays and food usually go hand in hand….. Especially Christmas. Christmas cookies, candies, treats, meals, you name it. When I think of Christmas I think of my mom’s cakes she makes every Christmas season (Rum, Red Velvet, and Jam Cake), candies (toffee, sherry dream bars) and cookies (sugar, wedding, chocolate chip) and on a side note, my uncles bbq’ed ham. Yum! …. All of these things say Christmas to me.

It’s no news that in the south, food usually equals love. Someone gets sick, you make them food. Celebrations at church you have a potluck. Special occasions are based around the food put on the table. You get the point. So of coarse when it comes to saying thank you and Merry Christmas to my co-workers, I decide to make them FOOD! Haha.

Honestly I just love having a good excuse to cook. I don’t host a holiday party, and I don’t just sit down and bake myself cakes and pies. I like to cook for others. (Like I mentioned in the last post, I am a giver LOL) Every year since I started my job I have brought in red velvet cake cupcakes. This year I decided to expand and give a little more of my personal Christmas favorites to the office (and also squeeze in my new recipe of the week… I have been slackin in that department). This year I whipped up 1 batch of red velvet cup cakes, sherry dream bars (so dang good!) and my new item…. Pretzel turtles.

Pretzel turtles may be about the easiest yet still majorly tasty receipe I have ever tried! 3 ingredients and honestly it didn’t even take me 10 minutes to make. Now that is my kind of cooking! haha

So I will be nice enough and spread the Christmas cheer and give you the receipe. Enjoy!!! - I know I sure did ;o)
Easy Pretzel Turtles

small pretzels
Rolo candies - one bag has about 55 candies
Pecan halves - or optionally peanuts, cashews, and m&m's
Optional: almond bark or white chocolate for drizzling

This is easy as can be! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place pretzels on a parchment lined baking sheet. I like to use parchment paper for easy handling, but you can also put them on foil, a silpat, or directly onto the cookie sheet.

Unwrap your Rolo candies and place one on top of each pretzel like a cute little hat.

Place pan in the oven for 3-4 minutes. Any longer is probably too long. You just want the chocolate on the outside to look glossy and melty, but they should still hold their shape.

Remove pan from oven and take a pecan and gently press it right into the center of the chocolate candy

No comments:

Post a Comment