Sunday, October 10, 2010

East Nasty

East Nashville: Surrounded by projects, crime, old homes, major social economic diversity, crowded by many races and mis-interpreted people therefore is often referred to by many Nashvillians as East Nasty. But for those of us that have taken the time to open our eyes to the east side realize we have found a diamond in the rough.

I wont deny, less than a little short two years ago I made my first venture over to a Christmas party in the east side. I was frightened for my life, driving with the car doors locked waiting to get gang banged.... Later to realize that East Nasty did not deserve the bad rap it had been given. (not saying 10-15 years ago it wasn't fully deserving). I wont deny that it took me a few trips and visits to understand that when it came to east Nashville you cant really judge the book by its cover because the pages of east Nashville, while rough around the edges, actually contained alot of awesome content. Of course I am not the only person that clearly feels this way. In the search for a home, houses in east Nashville were priced right and if were decent or better would be off the market before you could even consider to put an offer down. Now I have lived in east Nashville for 6 months and I love the life I have been building while I have been here. For those of you outsiders wondering WTF, here is why....

(DISCLAIMER: I already know I am going to leave out some awesome things-Sorry! And also this post refers to my current experiences (yes, living on the right, literally and figuratively, side of East Nashville. This is not saying that the left side is bad but I just haven't experienced it first hand)

What is great about East Nashville:
  • Old houses getting redone, houses getting flipped, a new generation moving in...Almost all of my neighbors are young, super nice, and are pretty much in the same disposition as myself and it seems like that is the trend all around 37206. Constantly seeing joggers and bike riders down my street, people walking their dogs, and lots of front porch and patio sitting. No, I will never join the "East Nasty" joggers but that is a perfect example of the population I am referring to.
  • GREAT (non-chain) restaurants. A few on the top of my mind. Sushi and fish at Battered and Fried, Brunch at Marche's, a sandwich from Mitchell's Deli (i like it for more than just its catchy name, lol), and today I had probably the best southern cooking and customer service at Southern Bred. Food was amazing and since we had to wait so long they comped our meals. Best of both worlds right there. Cheese dip and Marg's to make all my sorrows go away at Rose Peppers, cozy and uniqueness at Family Wash, and I don't want to forget about Glee Tuesday at Nuvo Burrito (really, glee on all tv's plus trivia during commercial breaks while you eat dinner, okay need I say more?!) And those are just (SOME) of the places I have tried... Other places I can't wait to try out Holland House, Margots, Pied Piper Creamery, Allium, and all the fried chicken places that are supposedly amazing. Plus for those of the picky persuasion they have places that serve all organic, vegetarian, and also other ethnicity's.
  • Unlike my old place in Oak Hill, East Nashville has a great bar scene. I mean 5 points alone provides bars for the liking. Trivia or watching the game at 3 Crowe or Beyond the Edge or just catching happy hour on the patio at Red Door east you have all your bar needs covered and that is just the tip of the iceberg. The beer garden in Riverside Village, Drifters, and almost all the good restaurants have a great selection of cocktails. I hear Holland House and the new bar on its way (Bar 308) are the places to hit up if you want the real deal when it comes to cocktails. But the best thing about the bar scene in the east is that its is such an eclectic crowd. Unlike midtown where you are surrounded by grown frats and sorority members ( i'm not hating since I have a deep love for the Greek system, just saying it sometimes nice to see something other than cookie cutter socialites). There are even bars such as Lipstick Lounge and Mad Donna's that are targeted towards LGBT communites. There literally is room for everyone all of shapes, sizes, colors and belief.
  • If you don't drink the booze, well they got lots of coffee... And no, not one starbucks. It's like a first to hear a growing community with ZERO starbucks. So refreshing! (even though I do love me some starbucks froo froo drinks.) Bongo Java, Portland brew....yumm!
  • Can't leave out the music scene. Not only will you spot a ton of musicians or songwriters on this side of town but there are several places to really get your tune on. The French Quarter or the 5 spot to name a couple.
  • The parks, green ways, dog parks, and all around animal friendly community. I think it is a requirement for all east Nashvillians to love or own an animal and love the outdoors.
  • It's actually city life with affordablity. It is only a mere few miles from downtown and the fast life of the city. A few miles from LP stadium for games or other events. Home prices, while some are astronomical, most are still way affordable!
  • Last but not least is the love and pride the patrons feel for their community. It is drawing a community that wants to make it safer, more beautiful, and the next hot spot when it comes to best places in Nashville to live. It is very original between its stores, food spots, bars, music, tenants.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying the east side is perfect because by all means it isn't. Some areas are still in the need of a major turn around. There are still break ins, the projects, tons of cops, and the random sketchy people that seem to always walk in them middle of the streets or hang out at the bus stops/gas stations but the fact of the matter is that there is amazing community hiding in the midst of all the madness. I hope East Nashville fully becomes the area I want it to and if you have the fear of the East Nasty, get out here and give it a try. You may just reconsider! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment