Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Family Tradition

Last week went by in a jiff! It was kind of hard to believe everything that happened.
Monday, my grandfather had a massive heart attack (while in the hospital for a flesh eating staff bacteria infection on his arm (long story)). I finished getting the inspection and appraisal on the house I am buying. Thursday it was officially…. I am a few signatures away from being a home owner. Closing date March 31st!!! Friday, I got an email from the school I applied for my MBA. Got accepted. Yah! (guess the panties didn’t scare them away after all haha- view previous posts for all that are confused).

After such a busy week it was nice how my weekend turned out. Ended up having a lot of family time. With over two hours in the car with my mom and my grandma, I got to think about how rare and wonderful it was that I get to be so close to my family. My family is small, but we have used that to our advantage. As of right now, all my grandparents are still alive and I knew all my great-grandparents except for one. All have been a very big part of my childhood and my life. My great-grandparents were gone by the time I was in high school but just the thought of 4 generations of family getting to know each other is an amazing privilege. It gives you the opportunity to learn your roots, pick up on your family similarities; you become part of a tradition that is a wonderful thing. I know with no prospect of a husband or any babies on the way that the chances to share those wonderful experiences with my grandparents is growing slimmer by the day as we both get older. I hate the thought that my grandparents and future kids (if I get the opportunity to have kids) will miss out on that amazing part of life. But this weekend I really took the time to spend with my grandparents and family because when my grandfather had his heart attack the reality set in that these amazing people are precious and that time with them is limited. Live each moment to its fullest and don’t take those around you for granted.

Today I challenge you go out of your way and do something nice for your loved ones. Pick up the phone, put a card in the mail, or drop in and say Hi! It's the small things in life that really count.

I don't have alot of older pictures here in Nashville but I tried my best. This is my sister (the baby), my mom, my grandma Kate, and Granny.
This is my sister and I, my mom, Grandma Kate, and my dad's mom (mimi in my eyes)
(I know the men of the family aren't represented here but they are all loved the same! :o) )

No comments:

Post a Comment